5.06.2011

{inspired} rugged beauty

As I mentioned Wednesday, I was out of town this week for work. The destination: eastern Oregon. Eastern Oregon feels like an entirely different world from western Oregon. Where western Oregon is green, lush, and full of life, eastern Oregon is dry, rugged and feels a little unsettled. When I was younger I didn't see the beauty of this landscape. But as I've grown up, I've come to not only appreciate the rugged beauty, but actually stand a little in awe.

It's hard not to be in awe though when you're surrounded by these mountains. It's hard to tell in this photo, but remnants of the Oregon trail are on the right. This is the site that greeted travelers upon entering Oregon. It's crazy, for me, to think that not even 200 years ago this area was *unsettled*. Oregon is so young :).

We stayed in the Geiser Grand hotel. I love staying in hotels with character, and this 1889 hotel is over flowing with charm. It's also rumored to be haunted, but I never ran into a ghost ;).

Details:

I also had a little time to explore the town, Baker City, on my morning runs. Lots of beautiful and historic brick:

Our actual destination though, was this:

Even though I love, love, love living in a city, there's a tiny part of me that would like to move to the middle of now where and buy a farm. That tiny part of my emerges when I visit beautiful peaceful remote areas.

We also stopped at this crazy spot. It's a dredge. Like, a gold dredge. I've seen photos before, but let me tell you that photos don't come close to doing it justice. It's a bizarre and fascinating structure.

And speaking of farms, I found the one I would like to own:
Hmmm. Now to just convince Chris to come with me :).

I hope you enjoyed my brief tour of eastern Oregon. And, I hope you have a great weekend! All you mom's out there ... happy Mother's day!

ps. Remember how awhile back I mentioned I was training for a half marathon? Yeah, well said half marathon is this weekend. So think happy thoughts that I can still walk come Monday :).


5 comments:

  1. Those are some great photos! J didn't believe me when I told him some of the wagon wheel tracks are still visible today...we will just have to visit Oregon to prove him wrong :)

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, awesome photos! Totally envious that you're in Oregon, always have wanted to visit there.

    I definitely want to own some land in the country some day. Just near a fun town and I'll behappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love Oregon and these photos are stunning Jenn! haunted hotels and all, sounds like a splendid time.

    best of lucks for the halfer, keep the gatorade close by ; )

    cheers lades. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great trip. Good luck on your half marathon! I ran a marathon 11 years ago now - hard to believe!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)