4.13.2011

{create} chocolate peanut butter tarte

First off, thank you for all the sweet comments about my chalkboard vases! I keep moving them around the house because they look so good everywhere :). And along this line, I created a DIY project gallery this week! I've been wanting to do this for awhile. It's the spot to go if you'd like to make any of the projects I've posted here. I'll be updating it with all upcoming projects as well.

At some point, I'll make gallery for recipes also. Or, I guess baked goods would be more accurate! New here? I LOVE to bake. And today I'm going to have to demand that you drop everything and go make this recipe. It's that good :).

I've mentioned before that we're a gluten and dairy free household, but we're secretly in denial. We don't want our food (especially our desserts!) to taste gluten or dairy free. What's the fun in that? So it's my mission to find recipes that are amazing and everyone will love. This recipe had me a chocolate peanut butter. Uh, hello classic delish combo.

I first made this recipe one night when we had my parents (the ultimate test) over for dinner. They LOVED it. So we made it for friends. Who, of course, loved it. But it was when my dad requested that I make him this tart, instead of a traditional birthday cake, for his birthday last week, that I knew it was time to share it with you guys.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart
Adapted from Healthy Indulgences

Ingredients:
Peanut Butter Crust
  • 1/4 cup crunchy natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons beaten egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup blanched almond flour, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons honey
Chocolate Filling
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 4 tablespoons honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or chips
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons organic unsalted butter
  • 3 egg yolks
Method:
Peanut Butter Crust
  1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
  2. Melt peanut butter and butter in a heat proof bowl. 
  3. Stir in vanilla, egg and honey.
  4. Add dry ingredients and stir to form dough. It'll be sticky.
  5. Press the dough up the sides of a 9" tart pan.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes, turn off the oven and do not open the door. Leave until ready to assemble.
Chocolate Filling + Assembly
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/4 cup coconut milk, honey and salt and simmer on low.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the coconut milk and cocoa powder. This helps the de-clump the cocoa powder. Add the mixture to the saucepan.
  3. In another separate bowl, separate the egg yolks, and slight beat with a fork. Add 1/2 cup of the warmed coconut mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly and then add the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
  4. Keep whisking. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat stirring until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter until butter is melted.
  6. Remove your tart shell from the oven, and pour chocolate filling in almost to the brim. 
  7. Cool tart uncovered in the freezer until the top becomes firm. Transfer to the refrigerator and cover with plastic wrap.
Note 1: When you get to the assembly step, you will have filling left over. This is a very good thing. You can do two things. 1. Pour into ramekins or muffin tins and freeze for snacks. 2. Pour into ramekins and put into the refrigerator for pudding snacks. Either is awesome.

Note 2: This dessert is best accompanied with Bailey's. Be warned though: this is not for the weak of heart. :)

I learned this weekend that my aunt doesn't like chocolate/pb combo? What you say? Yes, we all said that too. So my question for you is: what's your favorite chocolate combo? What's your least favorite combo? Mine: I LOVE chocolate mint, but HATE chocolate/fruit anything. :)

6 comments:

  1. You had me at chocolate peanut butter.

    I also like chocolate and mint but only at Christmas time. Weird, I know. But still truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The PB crust is just genius! Love it!!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a PB crust but it sounds so yummy. I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmm!! yummy yummy!! i'm in love with chocolate... hahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :) New to the blog & have been hopping around drooling over all the recipes! I was just wondering what you are substituting for the butter in this recipe if you are dairy-free? We use Earth Balance Dairy & Soy-Free spread. My 2yo has a pretty severe dairy allergy & my sister has celiacs & is allergic to all Legumes so we both have been trying out the Paleo lifestyle. I found you on Pinterest & so glad I did :)
    thanks,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat,
      Thanks for stopping by! :) Weirdly, we're dairy free, but butter doesn't effect us. Something about the fat content -- it's kinda crazy. BUT, we do use Earth Balance on occasion and I've found it to be a great substitute for butter in recipes. For something like this, I would either use that or even coconut oil in this crust :).

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)